Upward Bound Camp and Covid-19
As our dances are held in the cafeteria of a public school, they will be canceled until Salem Public Schools are re-opened.
We take very seriously the role we play in limiting the spread of COVID-19. Many of our campers and dancers fall into the two highest risk categories: e.g. being over the age of 60 and/or immune compromised. In reviewing the current recommendations and working with our counseling team, we have determined that we cannot provide the supports necessary to keep our campers and dancers safe from infection at this time and have closed our Spring Break Camp Session. We are following the State of Oregon Guidelines related to limiting groups and gatherings to guide us in making decisions as to when camps and dances may recommence. This is a fluid situation requiring all of us to be flexible in response to changing guidelines and recommendations. Please follow our Website and FB pages for updates.
Dances are on the first and third Saturdays of every month from 6:00 pm — 8:00 pm at Houck Middle School, 1155 Connecticut St SE, Salem
Cost is $5.00.
Dancer’s support staff or family members are invited to attend free of charge.
Drinks and Snacks are available for $1.00 a piece
Free popcorn with the purchase of a $1.00 snack item
Only one dance in November and December 2020.
Questions or concerns about the dance should be directed to the Dance Coordinator or the Executive Director. 503-897-2447
2020 Dance Schedule
February 1 : Dr. Seuss Crazy Hat Dance
February 15: Valentine’s Dance
March 7: Back to the 80s Neon Dance
March 21: St. Patty's Day Dance
April 4: Karaoke Dance
April 18 : 70s Disco Dance
May 2: Cinco de Mayo Dance
May 16: Sci Fi Dance
June 6: Disney Dance Night
June 20: Super Hero Dance
July 4: Party in the USA
July 18: Hawaiian Dance
August 1: Karaoke Dance
August 15: Formal Dance
September 5: 60s Hippy Dance
September19: Sports Fever Dance
October 3: Old-Fashioned Barn Dance
October 17: Halloween Costume Dance
November 7: Thanksgiving Pilgrim Dance
December 5: Christmas Dance
It is our goal that the dance is a safe and fun social event, which requires the cooperation of all dancers, dancer support staff, dance volunteers, and Family members. We believe that the following rules and expectations will ensure everyone has a great time at the dance.
The Dances are a privilege and dancers or others in attendance who engage in illegal or inappropriate conduct while at the dance may be asked to leave and/or not to return.
Dance Participant Rules and Expectations
1) Dance participants must be at least 18 years old to attend
2) Tobacco and vape products are not allowed on school property. The established smoking area is on the sidewalk across from the school parking lot.
3) Drugs (legal and illegal) and alcoholic beverages are not allowed on school property
4) Dancers who are suspected of intoxication of any kind will be required to leave the dance. (Continuing intoxication concerns may result in extended suspension from dance participation)
5) Dancers are expected to treat one another with respect
1) Attend dance with dancer if supervision and personal care supports are required for the person
2) Will provide the supervision needed for the person to ensure health and safety issues are addressed per expectations outlined in the Individual Service Plan/Behavior Support Plan/Safety Plan.
3) Are expected to provide interaction and monitoring of the dances as needed for community inclusion supports
4) Will follow dance rules and work with dance personnel and volunteers for any investigations
5) Will follow mandatory abuse reporting rules